“... is seated at the right hand of the Father and he will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in … the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.”
“… will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end….We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen”
“….For all mankind, there will be a resurrection of the body into the spiritual world and a judgment that will determine the fate of each individual. Unbelievers will be separated from God into condemnation. God’s judgment will reveal His justice in consigning them to perpetuate in eternal retribution for their own rejection of God. Believers will be received into eternal communion with God and will be rewarded for works done in this life.”
What Does the Bible Teach About the End?
- Acts 2:16-17 – The “last days” were inaugurated at Pentecost.
- Romans 13:11-12 – They were to live expectantly of it.
- 1 Corinthians 1:7-9; 10:11 – It was possible in their lifetime
- Philippians 3:20-21; 4:5 – They were rightly actively waiting.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 (cf. 1:9-10) – Some might live to see it.
- 2 Timothy 3:1-5 – End times conditions existed.
- Titus 2:11-13 – They needed to be holy in case Christ returned.
- Hebrews 1:1-2; 9:26-28; 10:25) – They’re in history’s last phase.
- James 5:7-9 – They’re to suffer in hope that Christ could return.
- 1 Peter 4:5 (Also 1:5,13; 4:7,17; 2 Peter 3:12-17) – Everything was ready for the judgment of the living and dead to begin.
- 1 John 2:18 – It was “the last hour.”
- Revelation – 1:1,3; 3:11; 22:6-7,12,20) – The time was near and Christ himself promised to come soon.
II. The Parousia as an Absolute Event
- The Teaching of Jesus
Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43, 47-50
Matthew 24:29-31, 37-42
- The Teaching of Paul
1 Corinthians 15:23-26, 52-57
1 Thessalonians 4:14-5:4
- The Teaching of Peter
2 Peter 3:1-15
- The Teaching of John
The Book of Revelation
III. The Parousia as a Universal Event
The Universal Renewal
- The resurrection
- The reunion
The Universal Removal
- The resolution of the presence of evil
- The retribution by judgment
IV. Current Views on the End Times
- Anti-eschatological Attitudes
- Indifferent Attitudes
- Obsessive Attitudes